PDX HPA Meeting Minutes February 16, 2014, 11:00AM

Location: Multnomah County Library, Belmont

 

Attendance: 7

Brandie S.

Bas P.

Corinne M.

Jeff C.

Bart S.

Suzanne V.C

Lily V.C

 

Minutes: Brandie S.

 

Old Business:

Brief over view of progress on book drive. Discussed Justin Stanley of Uprise Books Project and Stephen as potential partners for the           project. Justin had planned to attend the meeting, but was unable to. Stephen of NWFLYA is proving difficult to contact currently. Brandie is attempting to set meetings with both people ASAP.

 

New/Continuing Business:

First order of business: Jeff read the press release for the Imagine Better project and we discussed its potential impact on our group

 

Second order of business: Discussion of next and future steps for the non-English language book drive.

Immediate Action:

Book recipients: Suzanne will contact ChildrensBookBank.org (Spanish is primary need)

Brandie will contact other HPA chapters in TX, AZ, NM a& SoCal to see if we                                                       could do an English for Spanish trade with them

Bas will contact Katie (work with children’s literacy programs)for other                                                             potential recipients.  Also will contact IRCO.

Flyer: Jeff will start work on a flyer for the project. Brandie will help.

NWFLYA: Brandie will try again to set up a meeting with Stephen, the organizer. Hoping to have                                               a table and book drop off at this event.

Facebook Group and Twitter account for the book drive: Brandie will set this up. Others will also                                                             be made admins of the pages. Volunteers?

PDX Browncoats tag alongs: Brandie will discuss the possibility of having a book collection at                                                      EDCC since she will be hanging out with them for the event. Will they allow us                                                to advertise on their social media?

Ongoing Action:

-Create a calendar of cons that we might have a presence at to collect books.

-Possibly purchase a PDX HPA stamp to mark the donated books with

-Brandie and Beka will meet to discuss progress and future plans

 

Future Action:

Book Mooch: another possible way to convert English language books to non-English. Corinne                                                             may be the point person on this.

-Potential community partnerships (responsibility to be assigned at a later date)

Jeff suggested the idea of creating an Imagine Better Panel for future cons and benefits

Meeting adjourned at 12:00pm

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s